Curchod & Co was founded in 1938, by Henry Curchod. In 1940 Henry was joined by his son Peter, although the war intervened. Peter was later joined by George Thomas, and they ran the practice together until their retirement in the late 1970s. The practice evolved during the 1980s under the control of John Butterfill and Anthony Davis. John Butterfill became a conservative MP for Bournemouth and stepped down from the practice in the 1990s, whilst Anthony Davis retired from the partnership in 2003.
The residential agency aspect of the practice was sold in 1990 to the company who now trade as Curchods. Curchods Residential Lettings & Management was also formed as a separate company in 2005. Curchod & Co as the chartered surveyors, are entirely independently owned and separately operated from the Estate Agents. We do not undertake residential agency.
We became a limited liability partnership in 2007. Ian Oswin and Christopher Martin have both been partners since the late 1980s, whilst Richard Newsam became a partner in 2011.
Curchod & Co merged with Richard Davey Associates, a highly experienced and long established Chartered Surveying practice, in 2014 to expand our expertise and enhance our services.
Curchod & Co have been based at Portmore House since 1956. Originally the Dower House to the Portmore Estate, the building is believed to date from 1680, according to markings found on brickwork. It is now Grade II listed, but has undergone many changes during it's life. It is not known when the building was split into two between No 54 and 56 Church Street, or when the current name of Portmore House was first used. Certainly it is not the original Portmore House of the historic estate of which only this building and two gate columns in Portmore Park Road now remain.
Numerous external and internal changes have taken place over the centuries. A hopper to the rear, dated 1753, suggests major works at that time. The front elevation is unlikely to be original and indeed suffered many alterations to openings as a result of the Window Taxes. Large extensions were added to the rear in the Victorian period, and most recently in 2002.
Possibly for a few decades the building was known as the Portmore Arms, a public house. Internal alterations have revealed a doorway with signage for the Star Bar. There are references in church archives to meetings in the upper rooms of Portmore Arms, and with us opposite St James Church this seems a little too co-incidental.
Prior to our use of the building, during the first half of the 20th Century, Portmore House was a Doctor's residence and surgery.